Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Introduction to "Words By The Soul"

Where to start? I guess I should, since this is the first blog, tell you what I do. I’m a recent graduate from Adelphi University with a Bachelor’s in Creative Writing. All my life, I guess you can say that writing’s been one of those stress busters that I took with me from a muse of a friend in High School and it helped mold into what I can call my ‘Writing Streak’. Since then, I have created tons and tons of fan fiction, where a fan writes his or her version of how a movie, book, etc. would turn out in their mind’s eye. To me, it has always been the passion of writing a book, or even a screenplay, and having my name out there in the public to see and bask in my glory. But, that’s a dream that most writers, whether young or old, wish to occur in their lives; some have been able to achieve that goal, while others are whisked away from their dreams by reality when real life sinks in.

I started to write when I was about ten years old, just writing on a mystery story that is very childish as I re-read the copy I still have. Of course, my only feedback was from a principal at the elementary school that I attended. Then I took a three-year leave of absence from writing, just not really sure if that was the path I wanted to take at the time. I started it up again the summer before high school, at which time was when I felt the most angst in the sense that I probably would gladly say that it was a small phase of being a thirteen-year-old, teenage daughter of an Asian city detective and an Irish/German nurse that could do it for me. At that point, I had penned a play that, if I ever find that only copy, I’d try to make it into a short story more than a dramatic play.

It wasn’t until I met Victoria (I’m using this name only to protect the actual person responsible for my molding into a writer) in High School that writing would become a necessity throughout my High School, eventually in College as well, career. She had gotten me into the world of fan fiction and that is what got me into writing. Of course, the one other person involved with my being crafted into a writer, would be credited to my father. If he hadn’t gotten me into reading books that have, and continue to fascinate me to this day, helped shaped my outlook into the world of fiction, I probably would have no idea what I’d be doing now.

Flash forward to the present day, and here I am, now at the start of being only 21 and my life has never been better. Of course, this would only mean that I have to keep on writing in order to get my name across any newspaper, magazine, or even on a website so that I can achieve the success of being a writer in today’s society. To end this post, I think I can leave you all to read an excerpt from one of my poems that I had to do for my poetry class this past spring semester. It is entitled “Lust” and it is inspired by my amazing boyfriend, who, at the time of my coming up with this poem, gave me a lot to work with. So, on that note, my fellow bloggers, may you seek a safe journey as you go about your day and may these words by the soul linger in your minds, hearts and souls:


"Caressing my hot flesh, your scintillate fingers/emits
shivers and sighs up and down,/like electricity, shocking every nerve/to
have me succumb to your touch,/lighting my eyes with a certain desire.

"Your lips leave a hot searing trail
in their wake,/hotwiring a sensation that has never been/at its peak before,
bringing a wave/to send me crashing through the foam,/leaving me lost inside
myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment